Search This Blog

About This Blog

First off, welcome to our blog.
Who are we? We are volunteers.
We are volunteers that have left our everyday lives back home to travel to the northern coast of Honduras to care for these lost, abandoned, and homeless children.
We are volunteering through a fantastic organization called Helping Honduras Kids that has created many projects for children throughout Northern Honduras and has given us the chance to be a part of this great work.
Below you will find pictures, heart felt stories, and our experiences as we continue to live in an orphanage called the Hogar de Amor, in English translated into "Home of Love".

One Week In

>> Thursday, September 3, 2009

Wow! So much has happened since Tracy and Dan have last written!!

As most of you know that get the HHK Newsletter, the children, staff, and Dan and Tracy had to be emergency evacuated two weeks ago from our Hogar in Agua Caliente due to shootings and threats.

The children and staff were moved temporarily into a local church in La Ceiba, the larger city about 20 km west of Agua Caliente while Cristy and Meily, Dave Ashby's two nieces, searched frantically to find a longer-term but still temporary location for the kids to live and still remain safe. A house was found in one of the safest neighborhoods in La Ceiba and all threats have ceased since the move.

This is the part of the story where I come in. My name is Nathan and I am a long-term volunteer that, up until the emergency evacuation and move into the city, was supposed to live with the kids at the Hogar de Amor. I volunteered for HHK the latter six months of last year, leaving two weeks after Christmas. A lot has changed since I was here last!

I arrived the 26th just after the kids were moved into their house. HHK has found a cozy little apartment for me and I spend all the hours of the day at the Hogar. Tracy and Dan, due to the “gang members” actually threatening them by name have decided to cut there one year trip short but nine months and headed home. I know they were sad to have to leave the kids in such disarray and they will be greatly missed.

As for the kids, they seem to be doing great. Like all kids, they are excited for a new house and new area but when the fun and newness wears off they will start asking questions.

As far as school is concerned, we have started classes again on the back patio of the new house, weather permitting that is. The long-term plan is still far from being set in stone since everything happened without any preparation. The children will finnish their school year out on the back patio until mid November when the Honduras school year ends. In February, the kids will be taken to HHK's Jungle School in the mountains across from the Rio Congrejal. This could potentially be dangerous for four sisters living at the hogar since their mother and father that they were taken from live in this community. But like I said before, only time can tell what the for sure plans will be.

I have started teaching English to the two Hogar Tias in the evenings and I am preparing to start afternoon English classes with the kids. I brought some great materials with me and I am excited to get started.

Today marked my first full week back with the kids. A year seems like a long time, but I know that it will go too fast. I have a lot of ideas and am excited to share my talents with the kids. I hope to leave knowing that not only did I show them they are loved but I helped them become better people as they grow older.

will write again soon.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Thanks for visiting our blog and remember to visit again! We will be posting weekly updates keeping you up to date on our new adventures with the kids! Thank you for all of your support!
---HHK Volunteers

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP